Friday, June 3, 2011

A Lovely Blog by WGM Jennifer Shahade from Madrid

Madrid, Spain - first week in January, 2012. That's our Goddesschess destination!

I saved this url several days ago.  I'm sorry for not posting it earlier, I've been busy with other things, darlings!  Tonight is lovely - not quite as hot and humid as predicted.  The house is still wide open and, unlike earlier in the week (Tuesday) when it was 90 degrees F inside when I'd got home from work and I turned on the central air conditioning to cool the place down, tonight it was cool inside (I'd shut down all the windows before I left at 7:25 a.m. this morning).  I spent a good hour or more on the deck feeding nuts to the squirrels and chipmunks while sipping a long, cool glass of wine. 


Photo at pokerpages.com
 Here is Jen Shahade who, amongst other things, plays poker to earn some daily bread - a lot of bread, so I gather :)  Blogging from Madrid in mid-May, 2011 ... My notoriety in the world of chess also spread quickly, and several poker players approached me to ask which game I prefer. I arrived from Madrid directly after providing live commentary from the US Chess Championships in Saint Louis...
From pokerstarsblog.com
by Jennifer Shahade on May 31, 2011 7:34 AM

Seat draws are the curse or blessing of a traveler. My trip to Madrid began on an ominous note. On my flight from Philadelphia, I was seated next to a toucher. This man had a habit of telling me a bad joke and then accidentally brushing my leg or arm with the punch line. I couldn't sleep the entire trip. Still, soon after landing in Madrid, I immediately took to exploring the compact, energetic city.

After taking in some great art, including Picasso's Guernica at the Reina Sofia, I sat in an outdoor cafe to enjoy some anchovies, chocolate and churros (not all at once). A couple of ladies asked to sit next to me as there were no other outdoor tables open. I was scribbling in my notebook and not in the mood for company--I silently grimaced, but of course agreed. After some innocent conversation, I discovered that one of the women was the president of an art foundation, filled with the work of an artist whose sculptures were also puzzles. She was also the daughter of an alleged Portuguese princess. I couldn't have invented a more fascinating lunch mate if I tried. Poker players take note: allow some time before you judge your table draw.

Rest of article...

Check out Jen Shahade's website for an interesting weave of chess, poker, and the game of life. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...