Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas from Milwaukee

It's probably fitting that right now I've got Christmas in America on the radio by Mannheim Steamroller, as they put on TWO shows here, one last evening and one today.  Good ol' Milwaukee.  We still turn out a full house every New Year's Eve for the Harlem Globetrotters too :)

I had a festive lunch Wednesday at Karl Ratzsch's, one of the few surviving original German restaurants in this city with such Germanic roots.  The Christmas decorations are so beautiful.  The bar was packed!  As we were leaving after lunch I suggested (only half-jokingly) to my companions that we adjourn to the bar because it sure seemed lively -- alas, we went back to the office.  Damn!

I tried my hand at some photos earlier today of the living room - will try again shortly with lighted candles and lights all aglow as the sun goes down, and see if those turn out more to my liking. 

Since we have passed the Solstice (yippee!) the day is lasting longer now - a few minutes each day which I, as crazy as it seems, already notice!  The worst is over.  The darkness is giving way to the light, once again, in the eternal battle.  March is traditionally when most people really start to notice - maybe that's why St. Patrick's Day has become so popular?  Well, at least around here, it it!  Milwaukeeans don't need an excuse to drink beer to excess at any time of the year.

From my hearth to your hearth, blessings and best wishes for this holiday season and the new year to come.

Yes, it sure is good to be Queen of one's own domain...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...