Monday, July 12, 2010

2010 U.S. Women's Chess Championship - R3

Okay, while I was taking the bus home Krush somehow managed to lose good winning chances by really putting the screws to Zatonskih and they ended up drawing the game!  Ohmygoddess!  I missed the commentary too, drat!  If I have time later I'll see if the video is up and take a look.  Me trying to work my way through these games is about useless, LOL, but listening to the commentary is usually enlightening if I can follow the way those pieces zip around during the analysis!  So, the decisive games streak in the U.S. Women's Chess Championship is over, and begins anew.  Is Krush kicking herself around the block right now? 

In the meantime, Marinello scored a victory with the white pieces against Iryna Zenyuk who was in horrible time trouble; I don't recall exactly because I was rushing peeks at the office but I believe the last time I looked at their game she was down to like 2 minutes on her clock and she had at least 13 moves to go to make time control.  Thus, Marinello scores her first victory.

Abby Marshall lost her game to Sabina Foisor, who wins her first, behind the black pieces.

I can't figure this one at all (without having looked further at the game) - Rohonyon lost to Baginskaite who, when I had last glanced at the game at the office, also seemed to be in some time trouble.  Thus, Baginskaite also scores her full point, behind the black pieces.

And I see the score just went up - Abrahamyan defeated Melekhina.

Zatonskih 2.5/3
Krush 2.5/3
Zenyuk 2.0/3
Melekhina 2.0/3
Abrahamyan 2.0/3
Rohonyan 2.0/3
Baginskaite 1.0/3
Marinello 1.0/3
Foisor 1.0/3
Marshall 0.0

Pairings for R4:

1 WGM Sabina Foisor 2356 WGM Camilla Baginskaite 2387
2 IM Irina Krush  2521 WGM Katerina Rohonyan  2322
3 WIM Alisa Melekhina  2323 IM Anna Zatonskih  2518
4 WIM Iryna Zenyuk  2286 WFM Tatev Abrahamyan  2403
5 WFM Abby Marshall  2211 WIM Beatriz Marinello  2206

My predictions - for what they're worth (probably not even 2 cents):

Now that Foisor and Baginskaite have each seemed to get their legs underneath them, it may be a horse apiece despite their best efforts to pull off a win.

Krush should handle Rohonyan and score the point.

Melekhina was defeated in their 2009 game and she's going to have her hands full, as Zatonskih will be pressing for the full point to maintain pace with Krush (figuring that Krush will win her game against Rohonyan).

Zenyuk will experience a case of the yips and once again fall into serious time trouble early on; I expect this to be one of the first games decided, in Abrahamyan's favor.

Going out on a bit of a limb, but I think despite her 3 losses Marshall is a better player than Marinello;  Marinello is shaking off the rust, but I see a win for Abby.  It won't be easy, though.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...