Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Selling/Buying a House: Update

Lots of crap has gone on since the last report. Suffice to say that I no longer have a buyer for this place and I no longer have a pending offer on any other place. However, I now have a fully insulated basement and I have to say that I feel some difference in the ambient temperature in the house and it has definitely decreased the condensation on the windows during those 20 below zero windchill days. Or perhaps it is just my imagination once again running away with me, ohhhh, it is just my imagination running away with me.... Amazingly, after all of the bullcrap that the brokers have dished out to me, one of them dished out more on Monday - and I've got it in email. Heh heh heh. Fortunately, I did not run around frantically cleaning for all of the people who were sooooo eager to view this place, although I was sorely tempted to do so. Talk about conditioning, geez! As it turns out, this particular broker who stated that there were several interested people (including a cash buyer) who wanted to view my house, is a liar. Only one (or two - a couple), will view the house - tomorrow night. It fits my schedule, otherwise I would not have agreed. I don't get this lying to me stuff - why do they do it? Anyway, in the hope of moving this along, I decided to reorganize the family room. That is no easy task. I have two heavily laden bookcases in the family room. In order to move them, all of the books and the movable shelves must be moved, and then I huff and puff and heave and shove and eventually get the bookcases where I want them to be. Doing this is worse than a "Biggest Loser" work-out. I won't bore you with the gory details. Suffice to say that after spending nearly an entire day shoving the unloaded bookcases first here, and then there, and then back again, and then split, and then this way, and then that way, and then upside down hanging from the ceiling (kidding about that), I reached a point of such utter exhaustion that I settled for the arrangements shown in the photos. Does this look spacious enough to you??? Since I'm not going to burn my books and banish the bookcases, this is the best I can do to make the available space "roomy" and light-filled. Personally I give a hoot about "roomy" - I want convenient. I like having the bookcases closer to the kitchen table, where I spread out and do research. Alas, that looks too "cluttered" for the brokers. At this point you are asking me, why do I give a flying "f" about what the brokers say. Unfortunately, I would like to sell this place, if I can, to get that $6,500 current owner as seller credit, while downsizing and getting a house closer to my necessaries of supermarket and buslines in a new place - if I can. This mile walk to the Pick and Save supermarket, and then back again, every time I need a quart of milk or wine or 5 lbs. of birdseed really sucks. But the house has been on the market more than 2 months now, and frankly, I don't think this is going to happen. No one wants to pay me what Maison Newton is worth according to my calculations, and I'm not going to sell for less. But the place sure is looking spiffy, with all the rearranging of furniture, and scrubbing of walls and painting, finally completing the staining and painting of woodwork that was not done 19+ years ago, spackling up nail holes, sealing up settlement cracks, not to mention the work I had Kevin the Wonder Handyman do, etc. etc. I definitely have this place underpriced :) Above are two photos of the newly arranged family room. You really can't tell from these views, but yes, that really is Xena, Warrior Princess, riding high atop that black elephant on the top of the entertainment unit. A mother goddess with a spiral at her naval is also centered in front of the clock, right next to a photograph of some of the Newton family members, taken many moons ago, just to remind one how time flies :) The chessboard in front of the sofa is ready for a game.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...