Saturday, January 30, 2010

Chess Femme News

Hola!

I apologize up front for any editing errors that are now appearing in this blog.  Since I "upgraded" to Windows Explorer 8 I have had nothing but fits trying to get this blog to work right.  It really really SUCKS.  I am seriously thinking about removing it and going with a different browser, but I'm not techy savvy to do that and so I may have to hire someone to do it.  Damn Damn Damn!  So if stuff looks screwed up it's not that I've had too much wine (because, after all, one can never have too much wine, just like one can never be too thin, have too much money, or too many jewels), it's attempting to edit on this @%*)! b.s. site with Explorer 8.

I'm just checking out various sources to see what is new. For those of you who don't have these links in your "Favorites" or "Bookmarks", I recommend adding Susan Polgar's chess news and information blog and Alexandra Kosteniuk's chess blog as general sources for chess news and chess femme news. I have not, alas, been able to update Goddesschess' Chess Femme News - just too much on the agenda the past several months. Now that things have settled down I will try and make a dent, but no promises. I seem to have come down with a bad case of redecorating fever, no doubt due to my recent go-round with trying to sell my home. I am now thinking about painting the entire downstairs (now that all of the painting and staining of trim is finally done after 19 years, I want to change it all!), adding crown moulding in the familiy room, and a tile backsplash underneath the kitchen cabinets... I also need a new stove and refrigerator, new flooring, new carpeting, new water-efficient toilets and new faucets and hardware in both bathrooms. New furnace, new roof, a totally new deck, and major regrading work done around the house. CHA CHING! as Isis says. Dream on, as Jan says...

That urge to try and improve my chessplaying skills has also resurfaced - it was temporarily buried underneath the need to clean out closets and scour mildew off window sills, among other things. Goddess, I HATE housework. I hate vacuuming, dusting, scrubbing toilets, doing laundry and - did I mention vacuuming? I'd much rather be losing game after chess game to Shira Evans. Why was I not born rich with tons of hired help to do all of that crappy housecleaning stuff for me? Sigh.

At Chessdom today I see they have a new interview with IM/WGM Elizabeth Paehtz of Germany (2484) and she had some interesting things to say, I found the interview too short. I suppose it is a good thing to always leave the audience wanting more :)

There are three other interviews with interesting chess femmes at Chessdom too that showed up on the Interview screen, all of which I may have furnished links to, but I'm lazy today and not going to hunt them down on this blog, so I'm reposting them just in case and also catching any new interviews:

GM Judit Polgar
GM Hou Yifan
IM/WGM Tania Sachdev

Chess is played 24/7 in a world that, at any given time, is never fully asleep. The Armenian Women's Chess Championship is taking place right now, with players whose names are unfamiliar to me. That was the case, basically, in the USA too, a few years ago, before major sponsorship of the Men's and Women's championship was underwritten by Eric Anderson (ended with the 2006 Championships) and, now, Rex Sinquefield (St. Louis). It is an unfortunate fact of chess economics that the best players will routinely skip national championships for more lucrative play in events elsewhere. But, at least at present in the USA, that has changed, and with large prize purses at stake in both the Women's and Men's National Championships, the best players in the country have been attracted to the tables in 2008 and 2009. Bigger and better is the word for 2010 and I, for one, cannot wait!

But back to the Armenian Women's Chess Championship - I found this article online posted January 29th, a brief review of Round 7 action. It seems the ladies are really beating up each other in this tournament, judging from the scores at the moment, as the top two women have only 4.5/7 each!

More chess news out of Armenia - a family affair:

Chess: Two brothers and their sister awarded IM title

One of the decisions made at the FIDE Presidential Board meeting in Bursa can be recorded in the Guinness Book of Records. Two brothers and their sister, Armenian chess players Gor, Gevorg and Tatevik Hairapetyans who live in Lipetsk, Russia, were awarded the title of International Master, Armenian Chess Federation reported.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...