Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Incredible Blooming Geraniums

It's December 1st and here is a photo of the two Martha Washington geraniums still blooming away on my front porch! Forgive the poor quality of the photo - I didn't have it on the right setting to take the photo in the dark and my hands shake so I couldn't keep the camera still even though I thought I was. Oh well. Even with the proper setting, I don't have a tripod to hold the camera steady. Despite the blur, the pic plainly shows geraniums in full-summer mode! In Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on December 1st! I wonder if I have stumbled upon the geranium equivalent of the Lightbulb that Pynchon wrote about years ago in Gravity's Rainbow? There was this lightbulb - in a factory or a storage facility? - who slowly discovered that "he" was immortal! I recall its name as Bernie, but that may be wrong. I still remember that ever-living lightbulb though, more than 30 years after reading Gravity's Rainbow for an English class in college. I don't know how much longer the Marthas will keep going. I have been covering them with a black plastic trash bag at night because it's been dropping below freezing. Today was a respite, it was 53 degrees F when I got out of work at 5 PM! But the temperature soon dropped as the sun disappeared altogether below the western horizon. Tomorrow and the next several days are forecast to be more seasonal. I may have to say goodbye to the Marthas.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...