Monday, June 1, 2009

Outrageous Behavior by Bill Goichberg of USCF!

I find it difficult to believe that someone would stoop to this level but I've got the evidence right here, resting against my keyboard as I type this. Today I received in the U.S. mail two cards from the Continental Chess Association, which is owned by Bill Goichberg of the United States Chess Federation. I found this rather unusual since I cannot recall ever receiving prior cards from the Continental Chess Federation. The cards purportedly announce two upcoming events - the World Open in Philadelphia and the Chicago Class Championships in Chicago, both to be held in July of this year. However, both cards also prominently feature statements by Bill Goichberg, current President of the USCF and also a member of the USCF Executive Board who is running for re-election. These statements contain allegations relating to a law suit or suits involving various members of the Executive Board. Mr. Goichberg has the unmitigated gall to assert in these statements that "Board members have a fiduciary duty to work for the interests of their organization, not its destruction, and I find these lawsuits outrageous." Outrageous, indeed! Why not tell us all of the facts, Mr. Goichberg. For instance, what about the fact that it was the USCF that attempted to have Board Member Paul Truong removed from office by delegate vote after an agent of the USCF leaked confidential information (a habit of which certain members of the USCF Executive seem particularly fond) alleging that Mr. Truong was guilty of making posts at various message boards and chess forums under "false" names. When that maneuver failed because the delegates did not vote to remove Mr. Truong from office, the USCF then filed suit in the state of Illinois to have both GM Susan Polgar and Mr. Truong removed from office. After the USCF filed another law suit in California against GM Polgar and others, GM Polgar filed her own suit in Texas against the USCF and various members of the Executive Board and other parties, alleging defamation, slander, libel, and other claims. On numerous occasions GM Polgar has publicly offered to settle this suit for $1.00 and an apology from various members of the USCF. This settlement offer has been rejected numerous times. Which one of these law suits are you pinpointing as aggrieving you, Mr. Goichberg? What I want to know is this: how did Mr. Goichberg come by my name and address and USCF membership ID number? Did he purchase a list of members from the USCF - did you pay money for the list, Mr. Goichberg? Did he just expropriate the membership information for his own personal uses, using his position as President and Executive Board member to do so? Who within the USCF provided this information to Mr. Goichberg, and under what authority? Whatever method Mr. Goichberg employed to obtain the information necessary to make these kinds of mailings to USCF members, under any definitions of fiduciary duty and conflict of interest of which I am aware MR. GOICHBERG'S CONDUCT IS CONTRARY TO HIS FIDUCIARY DUTY AS A MEMBER OF THE USCF EXECUTIVE BOARD AND PRESIDENT! Mr. Goichberg is using membership information in a blatant attempt to sway the election in favor of his re-election and the election of three other new members to the Executive Board. This is disgusting, immoral and possibly illegal conduct by Mr. Goichberg. I did not pay my dues to the USCF to enable Mr. Goichberg to continue his libel and slander against other Executive Board members, the prosecution by USCF of what I consider to be frivilous and vindictive law suits or to enable Mr. Goichberg to retain his seat on the USCF Executive Board! Mr. Goichberg, please do not send me any more of your mailings. I find your conduct as President and an Executive Board member of the USCF appalling, vile and disgusting.

3 comments:

MGames said...

Hello, I don't know who provided your US postal addr or how it was acquired, but the USCF does provide mailing labels (to any affilliate/memeber for a small fee) for chess events. Thanks, Mike

Unknown said...

Jan,

Anyone can purchase the USCF membership list. CCA sends mailings out on a regular basis. There's nothing unprecedented or unusual about that in the slightest.

Previous USCF board elections have often involved candidates sending direct mail to the membership. Anyone can do that.

Regarding your questions directed TO Goichberg, why don't you simply ask him? His e-mail and phone number are readily available at chesstour.com.

Jan said...

Thanks, Mike and Macauley, for the additional info.

Mike, the cards I received in the mail are fully printed, there is no stick-on label in either white or clear finish. The larger is orange postcard stock 11 inches long and about 6.5 inches wide; the smaller card is yellow postcard stock about 5.5 x 8.5 inches.

Macauley, I was a member of USCF for a couple of years starting in 1999, then let my membership lapse. I joined again in 2007. These are the first notifications that I recall receiving, but there may have been one or two others during the years I've been a USCF member. I do not remember receiving anything with this blatant self-serving political stuff on it.

I don't object to affiliates being able to obtain membership information to send legitimate notices concerning upcoming events.

I DO object strongly to the political baloney, particularly artfully worded advertisements by people running for office sending me things in the mail under the guise of letting me know about events. If I want to read about chess politics I'll look at the USCF Issues Forum or visit various blogs and chess websites to see what people are saying and thinking. I don't want this stuff coming to my house!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...