Saturday, January 31, 2009

Decorating Redux...Etc.

Hola darlings! The guest room is almost complete! Changes since the last photos are: (1) The Central Park poster above the bed (2) The bedskirt (tailored stripe replaces embroidered white ruffled) (3) Tables swapped out - the table that I formerly had by the chair is now in the opposite corner, and the larger round skirted table is next to the chair (4) Lamps swapped out (5) Photos on the wall between the window and the closet have been switched around (6) A different curtain. I took down the black/white stripe and first put up my remaining toile panel that I didn't need for the second window in my bedroom. I loved how it looked, but decided I wanted something a bit "heavier" for this cold winter. (I don't get the same "light-weight" feeling with these curtains in my bedroom, because there are two panels on the larger window and the second window is so much narrower, one panel weights it down nicely). (I think the toile panel will look great for summer wear in the guest room with the black/white gingham sheet set.) I was ready to put the black/white striped curtain back up when I remembered some VERY old sheets I purchased years ago to make curtains for the patio door that I never got around to doing. They are black/cream houndstooth checked with gold corded trim and a gold leaf decoration along a 4 inch top black border. I dug one sheet out of storage, ironed it, and tossed it over the curtain rod, roughly "hand-pleating" it across the rod, and used the same shoe-string tied in a bow to pull the curtain back. The gold leaf/black border forms the bottom of the curtain. A totally no-sew curtain, and I do mean no sew - not even a stick-pin holding anything in place! I think the gold leaf border design and corded trim add a nice touch. The copyright on this design, "English Manor," by Echo for Revman, is 1995! This sheet (and 3 other identical twin sheets) have been in storage here at the house more than 13 years! I have a Times Square poster to put up - still pondering where I want to put that. At first I thought about putting it on the wall behind the door, where it would show to advantage when the room is actually being used (because the door would be closed and it would be seen from the chair and the bed). On the other hand, I'm not quite satisfied with the way the door wall looks (where the table, lamp and chair are). I do want the New York water color to be highlighted, and when sitting in the chair it's great having it at eye level in its present location. On the other hand, that wall looks somewhat plain in the photograph (although it doesn't "read" that way when actually in the room), or something isn't quite in balance. Not quite sure what, exactly, it off kilter. It will come to me eventually. I'm wondering what it would look like to hang the Times Square Poster on the door wall. I'm also wondering if I should hang a 5x7 New York photo on either side of the Central Park poster above the headboard. Or maybe some black finished metal candle sconces? Too frou frou? I want the guest room to be unisex comfortable, not too "girly" (my bedroom is girly enough for the house, even without a speck of pink in it).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The room looks great. You might want to consider another lamp. A lamp like this lamp might look nice on either side of the bed.

Jan said...

The lamp you linked to would look great in the room - can't afford it though. Still, you are right, there should be a lamp closer to the bed. I'll keep an eye out for something on sale that will fit in, and perhaps move the buffet lamp that is currently on that end (the far end) of the dresser that isn't shown in the photos into my room where it can join its mate. In all the years I've had my own room, I've never had matching lamps on my dresser!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...