Saturday, January 3, 2009

2008 North American Open

We were enroute back home when the North American Open started at Bally's on December 26, 2008. Too bad, I would have liked to stay and watch some of the chess. Oh well, such is life. Only a few chess femmes (as far as I can tell) participated in the 89 player Open, which was won by GM Giorgi Kacheishvili 2657 (he's listed as NY - never heard of this highly rated GM before, he cannot be an American resident, can he???) - with 6.0/7. Here are the chess femmes: 71 WIM Ruth I Haring 1936 CA) 2.5/6 79 Marian M Nita III 2120 (CA) 1.5/6 Brian Wall (2229), a chess friend from the days of Chess Goddesses website (2001-2004) finished in 51st place with 3.0/7. Way to go Brian, still slugging it out in the trenches! Dr. Eric Moskow (2229) also played in this event. He set a goal in 2007 to achieve an IM title. I'm glad to see he's still working toward that goal, finishing in a respectable 43rd position with 3.0/7. As the classes drop in ELO the chess femmes playing increase. In the U2100 (125 players): 31 Vanessa A West 2040 (CA) 4.0/7 48 Hana Itkis 2090 (NJ) 3.5/7 59 Megan Lee 1910 (WA) 3.5/7 72 Amanda R. Mateer 1987 (AZ) 3.0/7 96 Kelly Zhang 1936 (CA) 2.0/7

5 comments:

Brian Wall Chess said...

Thanx Jan Xena Newton,
You'll always be my Chess Goddess.
I wrote a email about my game with WIM Ruth Haring at the 2008 North American Open. I actually wrote about every game I played and even wrote some more about GM Julio Becerra's games for the Florida State Chess magazine. Let me know if I should send you my gane with Ruth.

Your buddy Brian Wall

Jan said...

Hi Brian,

Glad to hear from you! Yes, please send the game with Ruth Haring, I'll be glad to publish it. Got a website these days? I can give you a link if you return the favor :) Are you still teaching?

JX

BrianWall said...

websites -
www.Walverine.com
www.BrianWallChess.net

My game with Ruth Haring and many others can be found on my new website annotaed with click and move Chessbase.com style

Love you Xena!
Keep up the fantastic work. I am currently working on a fun article for Chessville.com on the Snowdrops versus Old Hands tournament where the women kicked some serious Grandmaster butt. Even though I am an Old Hand my heart was with the young women.

Brian Wall

BrianWall said...

My game with Ruth Haring can be found annotated Chessbase style at
BrianWallChess.net
new website

www.Walverine.com
old website

also
Off the Wall
column at
www.Chessville.com
Love you Xena!

Jan said...

Hola Old Hand,

Here's a name you may remember from your teaching past - Shira Evans.

Shira and I are cooking up something very special, look for it soon at Chessville. We may be calling upon you to render assistance.

JanXena

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...