Monday, July 28, 2008

Humpy Falls Twice in North Urals Cup

Unprecedented as far as I'm aware - GM Koneru Humpy has lost her first two games in this elite women's event! She lost R1 as white to Stefanova; she lost R2 as black to Sebag. Game 3 started at 3:00 p.m. today. Does this mean that Koneru is overrated as the second highest rated female player in the world? I don't think so. What I do think is that several of the players at this year's North Urals Cup are underrated because they play mainly in women-only events (Marie Sebag may be the exception, as she recently earned her third and final GM norm playing in the Men's section at the Individual European Chess Championships).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really hard to tell with Humpy... hard person to read. I'm only disappointed that she is not playing in the Olympiad. It would have been good to see her take the spot on the "Men's" team.

Jan said...

She won her game today - at the moment (before results from R4), Stefanova is leading with 2.5. I can't believe Pia Cramling only has 0.5! When I first started reading about "women's chess," she was prominently mentioned in the one book I found on the subject (along with Susan Polgar). I'm with you - I would have loved to see Humpy play on the Indian Men's Olympiad Team.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...