Friday, January 18, 2008

Friday Night Miscellany


Right now I'm watching BBC news on public television and they are doing a retrospect on Robert J. Fischer, the greatest American chess player who ever lived (to date). This is one of my favorite photos of Fischer, returning triumphant to NYC after winning the World Chess Championship in Iceland. I haven't read the latest news reports - what I read this morning indicated that Fischer died Thursday. I read that it was kidney failure, but someone at the office said she read it was liver failure. I read that he died at home, having removed himself from hospital perhaps in November because he did not trust western medicine/doctors; I also read that he died in hospital. So - I expect the facts will be sorted out in time.

I'm very sad that he died without ever having received treatment for his mental illness. He never gave himself a chance for a more normal life. I know attorneys who would have been glad to help him with his legal battles, if only he had been willing to return to the USA. But mental illness prevented Fischer from acting rationally.

Will his illness overshadow his great achievements in the world of chess? I'm no judge. I admired what he accomplished as an individual going up against what was the Russian chess monolith; I admire him even more for turning himself into a chess genius through sheer dint of will and hard work. I abhored, like many no doubt, his personally espoused views on my country, the USA, and his views on Jews and women.

Now I'm wondering if there will be a legal battle over Fischer's estate. Of course, I'm assuming that there IS an estate, but who knows for sure? Only Fischer's bankers. I understand that Fischer's deceased sister had two children, who would stand to inherit Fischer's estate (at least, under USA law) if he has not otherwise bequeathed it via Trust or Will (or married and his wife survived him). The USA is owed money for income taxes on Fischer's $3,000,000 prize won in the 1992 rematch against Boris Spassky. Will the IRS file a claim in whatever country Fischer's estate is probated? Will we ever know? Is it any of our business? Will friends now rush to print what they withheld for years on pain of banishment from Fischer's figurative side? Will others rush to attempt to cash in on Fischer's death? So many questions - no answers at the moment.

The Lehrer News Hour is on PBS now - it mentioned Fischer's death in a short story.

To a happier topic; today in many places of employment and schools throughout the state of Wisconsin, people wore their green and gold in support of our beloved Packers. The big game, the NFC Championship Game, is on Sunday, kick-off is at 5:40 p.m. I will be snuggled in my pajamas under an afghan, ensconced on the sofa in front of the fireplace to watch the game. The temperature turned sharply colder last night, and will drop even lower over the weekend. By Sunday evening it might be zero in Green Bay at game time, with windchills of - who knows? The winds are supposed to be strong here in Milwaukee County. We are under a winter weather advisory for dangerous windchill due to strong winds; but up in Green Bay I haven't heard that there will be much wind.

The supermarket was absolutely NUTS tonight, geez! The line for the liquor checkout was half a mile long, I swear, and the "regular" checkout lines were nearly as long. Everyone is stocking up on goodies for the Big Game, as well as extra so they won't have to venture out tomorrow or Sunday to pick up milk, eggs, bread or toilet paper (essentials to surviving life as we know it). Myself, I quit the office half an hour early because the forecast was for the winds to start whipping up around the time I'd normally leave. As it was, the 3/4th mile walk home from the supermarket loaded down with groceries was no picnic. The wind was out of the south/southwest and very cold - and the ambient air temperature was about 12 degrees F. I don't want to be out there when the highest temperature during the day is zero! Now I'm snug in front of my computer. I have my pizza, my mac and cheese, ground beef, assorted soups and casserole fixings, and lots of wine and liquored-up Christian Bros. eggnog (leftover from Christmas); also lots of peanuts for the squirrels and bird seed for the birds. I'm not stirring farther than the end of the driveway to get my mail and the newspaper until Monday morning, when I HAVE to go back to the office :)

I understand the Packers are 7 point favorites in the Big Game. Honestly, I have no idea what will happen in this game; but then, I expected that the Pack would have to play Dallas in Dallas, surprise surprise! I have nothing against the Giants - that is, I don't hate them like I hate the Vikings, da Bears, and Dallas. I've read that the Giants are dirty players - well, dirtier than average because I'm sure most players will take free shots in a pile-up if they think they can get away with it. Particularly dirty play, as opposed to just playing like nasty little boys with bad manners, does not set well with me. So I will be keeping a keen eye on the t.v. screen and if I see something I think is below the belt (so to speak), I won't hesitate to put a JanXena hex on the offending player. JanXena hexes ALWAYS work.

I've written a short piece about the TRUE history of football for Goddesschess - I expect it will be published shortly, so check there the next day or two to see if it's up and running. It will be published under my nom de plume of Alpheta Patton, former Ace Girl Reporter for the gone but not forgotten International Chessoid.

About that story that Dylan McClain published a few days ago in The New York Times (which, evidently, hardly anyone read, poor Dylan, just not very popular are you, gee, I wonder why?) about the USCF requesting the resignation of Executive Board member Paul Truong, who was elected to the EB in June, 2007. I do wish McClain would check his facts and solicit comments from more than a USCF press release before publishing his stories. Doesn't the man have an editor? That quote he published from Sloan - something like "now I'll always be known as a sex offender." Oh poor Mr. Sloan, playing the victim. What a hoot! If McClain had checked out Sloan's website, he would be in for a NASTY shock and see the reason why such charges have been leveled at Sloan from many different directions - they didn't come out of thin air. As I understand it, Sloan has not removed any of the truly offensive material he's posted over the years. I haven't visited there since 1999 (a one-time event, when I was innocent in the ways of the internet and didn't realize that people could and did publish such things, eek!) for fear of contracting some kind of loathsome disease, not to mention getting the heebie-jeebies at the mere thought.

Of course, a miracle could occur and Sloan could receive GODDESS and become born again. He could repent his formerly errant ways and seek forgiveness, and spend the rest of his life in penitence, giving free chess lessons New York prisons. Well - like I said, it would be a miracle.

I love this over at Dailygrail.com: Anthony North asks the simple question of "Why Are We Here?" at Beyond the Blog. I mean, geez, get over it already. We're HERE. Deal with it! Do the best you can and duh! - die and then see what's beyond, if anything. That's what everybody else here has to deal with too. So boo hoo, eat some chocolate, drink some wine and get a good night's sleep. You'll feel better in the morning.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...