Saturday, January 26, 2008

2008 U.S. Figure Skating Championships

Darlings! How could I possible forget - but I almost did, eek! I specifically noted earlier in the week seeing Saturday marked out for the big competitions broadcast on regular television - but forgot all about it until I happened across a headline during online research on some other topic earlier today! So, here I am now, all atwitter at who will be crowned the U.S. figure skating champs for 2008 and represent us at the World Championships that traditionally take place near the end of March. The categories are (1) women's single; (2) men's single; (3) pairs; and (4) pairs' ice dancers. It's not quite 2 p.m. here - the pot roast is almost done and filling the house with the most delicious aromas, and the skating is due to start at 3 p.m. The San Jose Mercury News has already reported that Johnny Weir has taken first in the Men's Short Program. Everyone's favorite "nasty" little boy (he's cute in a snotty sort of way, but so predictable, he's boring), after his performance, was taking cheap shots at not quite so flamboyant boy skater, Evan Lysacek, who was yet to skate. Evan evidently couldn't handle the OH SO STRONG pressure. Okay, okay, maybe they're not boys (hmmm...) but they sure don't have to shave much - unless they pluck their chess hairs and shave their legs... Oh, give me the days of high-voiced skaters such as Brian Boitano... The rest of the events are on t.v. this afternoon and tonight, starting at 7 p.m. central standard time. Since Michelle Kwan retired, I haven't cared a fig for figure skating. I didn't like Sasha, although I'll give her credit for great artistry. None of the femmes we've advanced in the USA has held a figurative fig to Kwan (yes, I'm overdoing the fig metaphor) - but - I'm interest to see this 14 year old skate - she won the Ladies' Short Program according to the Charleston Daily Mail: Mirai Nagasu. Who? Well, according to the article "she not only won the short program, she opened up a lead that's going to be pretty tough to beat. And she did it with such adorable personality and flair that all those pining for Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen might finally have found a worthy successor." So, now I'm going to go downstairs to eat some of that delicious pot roast, and settle in before the t.v. to watch the skaters. That is, if I can tear myself away from the PBS NOVA special about some adults in Turkey who walk on all fours - fascinating...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...