Saturday, December 8, 2007

2007 World Cup

Hola darlings! As you know, I generally don't do much reporting of men v. men chess. Unfortunately, the Kid (Nisipeanu) was eliminated from the event - but he gave it a good shot and in general my attention would cease to be focused on such an event (men v. men only). But, the final four have been determined for the World Cup, and I have to say they present interesting match-ups. Youth v. Experience, 2007. What can I say? The final four, including Kamsky from the USA (interesting...) for Round 6 in the Knock-Out event are: World Chess Cup Round 6 9th-11th December 2007 Karjakin, Sergey UKR 2694 vs Shirov, Alexei ESP 2739 Carlsen, Magnus NOR 2714 vs Kamsky, Gata USA 2714 Of course I'm absolutely predictable. I'll be rooting for Kamsky and Shirov :) Since they'll both be behind black, they'll have their work cut out for them. I understand from what I've read at Mig's Daily Dirt that Shirov generally has Karjakin's number, so perhaps he has the edge. As for Carlsen/ Kamsky, I'm rooting for Kamsky both because he's the "old guy", he's a lawyer (YAH! we're not all Brian Lafferty types), and he's an American.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...