Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Now Truly Fried...

Egoddess - the dew point is 75 - where am I living, the Equator? The "ambient" air temperature was 87 when I left the office at 5 p.m. I gasped my way to the bus stop (1 and 1/2 blocks away, crawling the last 25 feet) - it started to rain on my left side, while the sun was beating upon my back from the west. The bus arrived 3 minutes late; the bus driver, my "regular", instantly assessed my half-conscious condition and made the bus "kneel" so I could stagger on to it... Headed southwest for the next 50 minutes, when I regained consciousness I observed the black storm clouds speeding to the east/northeast, headed toward Lake Michigan, and clear skies speeding up from the ridge at the county line (124th Street) in the west. When I got off the bus, much refreshed from the 55 degree air conditioning and wiping a melting icicle off my nose, I headed south into a freshening wind from the west/southwest. I believe the dew point dropped about 2.5 degrees. After I settled in home, I cleaned up the patio from the earlier storm's detritrius, and settled in for an hour. Now it's 7:29 p.m. and I've got a Johnny Cash special on PBS (they're trying to sell me a CD) - it's quite good, a conpendium of all the top level stars he had on his t.v. sh0w way back when - amazing, just amazing - watching Neil Young and Joni Mitchell, for instance, when they had no wrinkles. Goddess, were we ever all that young? Hmmm, and now I seem to have forgotten the point about doing this particular blog entry - oh, and Carl Perkins (not particularly a fan) is on the t.v. (Johnny Cash Show) right now looking only 50 when everyone knows he's now 213 - and I have to admit, he sure could pick the electric GEE-TAR with a white twisted cord trailing on behind his behind, like a super-long piggy's tail. Oh, and the great pedophile Jerry Lee Lewis, looking all about 40 or so, doing the sqeezy-easy on the piano seat... Okay - enough of that! Ah - now I remember - I wanted to post this, about horse sacrifice. It's a good beginner's primer, even if it was put together by fans of the Theophilosophical Society... Ohmygoddess - now Derrick and the Dominoes are on!!!!! Wait a minute - something is wrong...Derrick is singing a country-western song... IT'S A POD PERSON - RUN, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES... BTW, that primer was written about a late 1890's expedition to northwest Asia, a study of the Buriat peoples - complete with some photographs of the horse-killing portion of the ancient horse sacrifice ritual they practiced. Not for the weak of stomach.

5 comments:

Pawned! said...

I can relate. Here in Southern Fried Kentucky (and just 20 miles from the original Sanders Cafe, aka KY fried chicken), it was 90F at 830am. Yeesh... Rich

Jan said...

I didn't think Kentucky got that hot, I always thought it was a more moderate climate, a little warmer than here (southeast Wisconsin) in the summer and mild in the winter. Of course, it's been HOT just about everywhere in the US recently. Today there's a slight break, at least downtown on top of Lake Michigan - the wind is blowing from the northeast so there is a cooling effect and even though it was humid the temperature is about 75 - MUCH better than yesterday. It will probably be an oven where I live, though, I'm too far from the lake to get the cooling effect, drat!

Pawned! said...

Normally it's not too bad, but the last few years have been abnormally hot and humid. I grew up in Northeast Ohio. I miss those lake breezes, but not the lake-effect snows!

Rich

Pawned! said...

I am rd, by the way. I just did a makeover of my blogger profile to reflect the name of my blog... Rich

Jan said...

Abnormally hot and humid? Well, I guess we're going to have to get used to it. What's your blog?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...